Pages

Monday, January 26, 2015

Honor thy father and thy mother...

Honour thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee; that thy days may be prolonged, and that it may go well with thee (Deuteronomy 5:16).

My mom is currently quite ill, but even though she looks, sounds and feels awful, she insists it is merely a cold. She is so used to being a caregiver to my dad that she neglects taking care of herself at times. 

Saturday morning, after hearing my mom on the phone, I went to the store, then to their home. I got my mother some cold medicine, brought stuff to make  lunch (including chicken noodle soup for mom and dad's favorite cookies for dessert) and cleaned up afterwards. Before leaving, I made them both a cup of tea and got them settled in their recliners. 

After church yesterday, my youngest son and I brought lunch to mom and dad and cleaned up again so my mother wouldn't have to. When I leave work today, I'll stop by and see if they need anything. Those are really small things but I'm thankful they now live close enough so I can be of some help when they need it.  

Having worked with the elderly in a variety of roles for over 25 years, sometimes I see things in my parents that need a doctor's attention attention but do have to be careful how I approach the subject. There's a fine line between caring for one's aging parents and telling them what to do. That's an area in which I need to continually ask the Lord for wisdom and patience so I can obey Him in honoring them. 

Yesterday afternoon, while searching for something else, I found a commentary on Deuteronomy 5:16 which asks a series of questions to get us to think about what it means to obey God's command to honor our parents. 

"Hast thou not been irreverent or undutiful to either? Hast thou not slighted their advice? Hast thou cheerfully obeyed all their lawful commands? Hast thou loved and honoured their persons, supplied their wants, and concealed their infirmities? Hast thou fervently prayed for them? Hast thou loved and honoured thy prince, and avoided, as fire, all speaking evil of the ruler of thy people? Have ye that are servants done all things as unto Christ; not with eye-service, but in singleness of heart? Have ye who are masters behaved as parents to your servants, with all gentleness and affection? Have ye all obeyed them that watch over your souls, and esteemed them highly in love for their works’ sake?" -Joseph Benson, Commentary on the Holy Bible.


No matter how old we are, and no matter how old they are, honoring our parents is not an optional activity. It is a command of God we are required to obey, without exception and without excuse. 

Honour thy father and thy mother, as the Lord thy God hath commanded thee... (Deuteronomy 5:16).


What can we do today to obey God in honoring our father and mother? 


No comments:

Post a Comment