Pages

Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Book Review ~ One Thousand Gifts by Ann Voskamp

Before we get to the review, I just want to say I owe Ann Voskamp an apology. It is unlikely she will ever see this, but it needs to be said. One Thousand Gifts was published 4 years ago. I allowed the opinions others expressed in some very negative reviews to dissuade me from reading it until my pastor's wife recommended it recently. So, Ann, please accept my apology. Some of those reviewers were wrong and so was I.




When I sit down with a good book (the kind based on truths from THE Good Book), I don't want to be bombarded with a bunch of Christianized “fluff.” I want a book that will make me sit up and take notice or make me sit back and ponder.


Ann Voskamp's One Thousand Gifts accomplished both with a unique style that drew me into the depths of her experience and, at the same time, caused me to look within myself and realize how painfully far I lag behind on the path to a truly thankful and fulfilled life.


This is a book filled with surprises. Since I don't want to spoil yours before you read it, we'll just highlight a a pair of them.


The very first surprise came in the opening pages. An almost-too-literal description of Ann's arrival into the world would most certainly be surprising to my English mother's sense of propriety.


I almost put the book down at that point, but then came surprise number 2. I'm a fast reader, but was brought to a screeching halt as I read:


    “Satan's sin becomes the first sin of all humanity:  
                    the sin of ingratitude...
            Isn't that the catalyst of all my sins?”


A “selah” (a pause to think on it), might have been appropriate just there. After a few “selahs,” and some time hashing it over with the Lord, I could only conclude that Ann is absolutely right.


The main theme of the book is the author's personal journey into a more thankful and more fulfilled life, which sees God's hand and love in it all.


That Love leads her into deeper intimacy with which some are neither comfortable or familiar. That discomfort and lack of understanding led to some of the negative reviews already mentioned above.


There is some phraseology that I personally would tend to avoid and I can't say I agree with everything presented in this book. But does that mean I can't learn something of value from Ann Voskamp?


God has given each of us unique giftings and callings for a reason - to use them to build up the body of Christ. I believe He will use Ann and her writings for His purpose and glory.


One Thousand Gifts is not a book I would recommend to a new believer but would absolutely recommend it to anyone who is well grounded in God's Word and ready to be both surprised and challenged.


We all need to have a fresh view of grace and to nurture thankfulness for every moment, every gift, and every caress of the Spirit's breath upon our souls.







No comments:

Post a Comment