Pages

Wednesday, October 1, 2014

*How do you know? Just ask


{Daily Selah}


My youngest son started his first job at the beginning of summer. He was so excited to get his first paycheck. 

On his first pay day, we drove by a man standing on the corner with a sign similar to the one in the photo.  We went to the store and, in the parking lot, my son said he wondered if he should give the man some money. Then he asked, "How do you know?"

He wanted to know how you know if someone is legitimately in need or  if they're going to take the money you give them to use it to buy drugs or alcohol. I suggested praying about it and said, "Let the Lord show you what he wants you to do."  We prayed together in the car and I asked the Lord to give my son wisdom and discernment to hear His voice and to keep his heart tender. 

We did a little shopping and when we got back to the car, my son had made a decision.  We drove back to where the man was standing, and I parked the car. My son, normally shy by nature, walked right up to the man, shook his hand and said, "Jesus told me to give this to you." He handed the man some money and talked for a few moments then  said, "I'm going to be praying for you," then came back to the car. 

I was never more proud of my son than I was in that moment. It is awesome when you see the Lord working in your children's lives and see them respond in faith and obedience. 

That day, my son asked a very important question.

How do you know?

How do you know which way to go, what to say and what to do? 

Discernment.

What is discernment? The dictionary will give you a definition but God's definition is different. (He defines most things differently than the world does.)

Godly discernment is simply heeding His voice. 

Jesus said, "My sheep hear my voice, and I know them, and they follow me" (John 10:27).

We, His sheep must listen to the voice of the Shepherd as He says, "This is the way, walk ye in it" (Isaiah 30:21). 

He is the still, small voice we hear when He wants us to know something is right or something is wrong. WE need to block out all other distraction so we can hear clearly what He is saying to us. 

One day some men came to Moses with a problem, expecting him to fix it. I love the way he responded.
Stand still, and I will hear what the Lord will command concerning you. (Numbers 9:8)

He was saying 2 things with this statement. First, he basically said, "Hey, guys! Be quiet for a minute! I need to hear what God has to say about this." And, secondly, Moses realized that human wisdom didn't have the answer for this. He knew that the discernment he needed could only come from God.

In James 1:5, we are told where to get this wisdom and discernment. It doesn't come from within, or from our natural intelligence, nor can we somehow acquire it on our own.


If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.

So how do you know? Just ask. 




Father, I'm so thankful that You have all knowledge, wisdom and power. Your ways are higher than mine and You know the best way for me to go.  Help me to daily seek wisdom only from You and to be still and listen to the still, small voice of Your Spirit and to walk in obedience to His leading. In Jesus Name I pray, amen.  




{Daily Selah} is a mini-devotional, a pause to ponder about the Lord and how He wants us to live. 


No comments:

Post a Comment