Pages

Friday, October 17, 2014

Leave the "Giraffes" Behind

{Daily Selah}

Strange title for a devotional, right? Let me explain...

Yesterday morning, I was blessed with an amazing view of the wonders of God's creation. 

Picture this... 

Wisconsin's rolling hills on either side, basking in a glorious morning sun filtered by hues of amber, scarlet and gold emblazoned on every tree and shrub. Worship music was playing loudly from the car stereo as I was praising the Lord for His goodness. Are you getting an idea of what I saw and felt in that moment? 

Then, all of a sudden, A GIRAFFE!!!   No kidding!!!

No, giraffes are not native to the frozen tundra of Wisconsin. 

This one was larger than life, grinning at me from the back of a truck. 

Parents in the USA know him as Geoffrey, the face of a well-known toy store that teaches children to write the letter "R" backwards. 

So, I was driving along, enjoying the beautiful scene laid out before and beside me and this giraffe disrupts my moment of awe and praise. Needless to say, I switched lanes and left that giraffe behind. 

That giraffe was a momentary distraction for me, but every believer deals with "giraffes" of distraction at times.

What is distracting you from your Savior right at this moment? That's where our focus must be. Where should we be looking?

Looking unto Jesus the author and finisher of our faith; who for the joy that was set before him endured the cross, despising the shame, and is set down at the right hand of the throne of God (Hebrews 12:2). 

Is there a "giraffe" you need to leave behind? 

You know what it is that is blocking your view of your Savior. He does, too. 

David dealt with "giraffes" of distraction in his life, too. Bathsheba was a big "giraffe" that blocked his view of his Lord. If David had left that "giraffe" behind, he would have avoided a lot of heartache. But, at some point, David did learn to fix his attention solely on God. In Psalm 57:7, he said, "My heart is fixed, O God, my heart is fixed: I will sing and give praise."

Is your heart fixed on your God today? 

Are you looking unto Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith? 

Leave the "giraffes" behind. 



Father, thank You for the beautiful and amazing grace You have so freely given us. Help us to fix our attention on You alone and look to Jesus, the Author and Finisher of our faith. Keep us free of all distractions so we may live for Your glory alone. In Jesus' wonderful Name I pray, amen.






No comments:

Post a Comment