Pages

Monday, December 22, 2014

Constant Communion

{Daily Selah}


Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice (Psalm 55:17).

Many of David's Psalms speak of his devotion to prayer. In Psalm 55, he said he would pray in the evening, in the morning and at noon.

We could read that and think, "Well, my prayer life must be okay. I do that. I pray over every meal - evening, morning and at noon."


I don't think David was referring to set times. In several other places, he speaks of continually praising the Lord. In Psalm 34:1, he says...


I will bless the Lord at all times: his praise shall continually be in my mouth.

When he said he would pray in the evening, morning and at noon, it seems that David meant his intent was to be in constant communion with God - all morning, all afternoon and all evening. All day long.

As believers in Christ, we have an advantage to prayer David did not have. We have the Holy Spirit living inside us. He reminds us to pray, guides us in prayer and makes intercession for us. 

You might think, "I can't pray while I'm at work."  Perhaps not out loud, but we can pray on the job, regardless of what we do. God knows our every thought. He hears even those prayers that are not verbalized. 

My oldest son lives about an hour away. Because of his work schedule and mine, we don't get to talk very often. Yesterday he came for a visit, which made my day. No matter how old your children get, any parent still wants to hear their voices and spend time with them. 

Our Father in heaven also enjoys hearing His children's voices and He wants to spend time with us. Think about that. The Almighty, holy God wants to spend time with me. He wants to spend time with you. 

God's desire is that we will be in a state of constant communion with Him. That's one of the reasons He sent His Spirit. How will we know His voice, hear His guidance and be assured of His care if we don't take time to talk with Him?

Evening, and morning, and at noon, will I pray, and cry aloud: and he shall hear my voice (Psalm 55:17).





{Daily Selah} is a mini-devotional, a pause to ponder about the Lord and how He wants us to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment