Pages

Sunday, May 25, 2014

I Will Hold Thy Right Hand - Part 2


Note: If you missed the first part, please see I Will Hold Thy Right Hand - Part 1



Into surgery I went.

Next, I was lying in a bed feeling rather mummified.

But no breathing tube – hallelujah!

As the grogginess wore off, I realized my right arm wasn't right. It lay limp at my side.

The reassuring voice came again...

I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand...”

Thank You, Father.

After recovering from surgery for a few weeks, treatment began. It was not a pleasant time, but “the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him” continued to remind me...

I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand...”

Thank You, Father.

College classes were out of the question at this point. I also wasn't able to go to work for quite some time and was unsure how I was going to provide for my children. Then, the reminder came again.

I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand...”

Thank You, Father.

He supplied all of our needs during that time and continues to do so.

An EMG test later showed the extent of the nerve damage. The trapezius muscle was not functioning which at times caused excruciating pain in my neck, shoulder and upper back. 

Even after weeks of physical therapy, range of motion was still very limited and my shoulder continued to sag and rotate forward, causing the collar bone to move out of alignment.

Another surgery. This time to fix the shoulder and collar bone. Again, the promise...

I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand...”

Thank You, Father.

After surgery, a new physical therapist. Exercises trained other muscles to compensate for the trapezius. My shoulder began to get stronger and more mobile.

I was told I would never be able to lift move than 20 pounds or do anything overhead, which meant nursing was no longer an option. Disappointing, to say the least, but again the reminder came...

I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand...”

Thank You, Father.

My old job was too physically demanding for a gimpy shoulder, so I needed a new direction. I didn't know what else I might be qualified to do and spent several weeks in a fruitless and frustrating job search.

But that now familiar and faithful reassuring voice came again...

 I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand...”

Thank You, Father.

He did indeed hold my hand once again, leading me to a new job and better pay than I had before.

About a year later, I was in church one Sunday morning. The song we were singing had something to do with lifting up holy hands in praise. I raised my left hand.

The Voice said, “Lift up holy hands, plural.”

My head said, “I can only lift one.”

Lift up both hands in praise to Me. I the Lord thy God will hold thy right hand.”

I finally obeyed. As my right hand went up, I heard a loud pop and crack in my shoulder. It was suddenly free to move and be as it should be.

A couple of weeks ago, I picked up a 50 pound bag of dog food in the store. It was heavy, but I was able to put it in the cart and then into the trunk of the car. At home, I picked that bag up out of the trunk and carried it in the house. No pain. No problem.

In 2006, when I asked how long I might around, the answer was “Maybe 5 years.”

In 2007 I was told, “You'll never be able to lift more than 20 pounds.”

It is now 2014.

I am still cancer free, have good job, and full use of my right arm.

And, I praise the Lord who has held my right hand through it all.

He is indeed “the faithful God, which keepeth covenant and mercy with them that love him.”





No comments:

Post a Comment