Pages

Monday, August 11, 2014

He must increase

Daily Selah is a mini-devotional, a pause to ponder about the Lord and how He wants us to live.


He must increase, but I must decrease. - John 3:30 ESV

John the baptist said these words after a discussion arose among his followers. The context almost seems to portray a jealousy among those who had been listening to John. They were complaining that people were starting to follow Jesus instead of John, the one who had introduced them to Him. 

John answered them by explaining a great truth. He portrayed Jesus as the  Bridegroom  who had come for His bride (those who believe in HIm). John described himself as the friend of the Bridegroom and said seeing the bride united with the Bridegroom made his joy complete (see John 3:25-30).

The wild, wilderness prophet was certainly not interested in self-promotion. He knew what his job was. He was called to prepare the way for the Messiah. He introduced Him as the Lamb of God, who takes away the sins of the world (John 1:29 ESV). 

John explained further for his followers, saying of Jesus, He must increase, but I must decrease. 

The same is true for believers today - for you and for me. 

He must increase, but I must decrease. 

The Christian life isn't about me and how I look to others, its about Jesus and how I present Him to others. 

Living for Jesus really means getting myself out of the way so He can live through me.

We must get our self out of the way - make it decrease - so that Jesus may increase through us. 


Father, thank You for sending Your Son to die in our place. Thank You that He is seated at Your right hand AND living in me and all those who have trusted in Him alone for salvation. Help me - help us -  to learn to completely surrender to Jesus, to walk humbly and obediently with Him and to decrease so that He may increase. May our lives be an accurate reflection of who He is and lift Him up as we present Him to the world. In Jesus' awesome Name I Pray, Amen. 









No comments:

Post a Comment