Pages

Sunday, September 28, 2014

WOW! Just sit...

[Daily Selah]


Right after I clicked the "send" button, I had one of those WOW! moments. 

The email was sent to my good friend and sister in Christ, Kelly, who also uses her writing as a platform to share the Word of God (check out the recommended reading section in the right side bar).

I had shared with Kelly that I've been in the process of writing a book for some time and have had trouble getting quality time to spend on it. Here's a small excerpt from that email, my typo included:


Maybe a week on a deserted island would do it. Just leave me there with my Bible, a concordance lots of paper, lots of paper and some pens. Oh, and a good supply of Dr Pepeer and something to eat. Then, I'd be set :)

After hitting the "send" button, I was still sitting at the computer, praying for Kelly's ministry and for Faith Reviewed and then the  WOW! hit me.

Suddenly, I realized that no island is needed. Nothing elaborate is needed. Only one thing is necessary if I want to be filled enough to overflow into others' lives, whether by my presence or my words, written or spoken.

It's the same thing every believer needs if they are to fulfill their God-given mission and purpose. 

"Just sit," Jesus says. 

Sit? Yes! 

SIT WITH HIM. AT HIS FEET. 


(Perhaps I should have labeled my experience a "Duh!" moment rather than a  WOW!” moment, but we all need reminders from time to time.)


Remember Mary and Martha? Let's take a look at the WOW! moments that happened at their house one day.


Now as they went on their way, Jesus entered a village. And a woman named Martha welcomed him into her house. And she had a sister called Mary, who sat at the Lord's feet and listened to his teaching. (Luke 10:38-39 ESV)

Mary was getting her WOW! moments right there as she sat and listened to her beloved Savior and friend, Jesus. 

Martha's WOW! moment was coming. Martha was getting all flustered in the kitchen, fussing over getting everything perfect for the meal she wanted to serve their special Guest. 

Finally, she hollers, Lord, do you not care that my sister has left me to serve alone? Tell her then to help me.” (v 40)

Are you ready? Here comes Martha's WOW!moment. Don't just read. Listen to Jesus' response:


“Martha, Martha, you are anxious and troubled about many things, but one thing is necessary. Mary has chosen the good portion, which will not be taken away from her.” (v 41-42)

One thing is necessary. Mary chose the "good portion." Some translations say, the "best thing,"or the "better part." 

What's the best thing for us to do if we want to grow to be more like Jesus and point others to Him?

The one thing that is necessary is to sit at His feet and learn from Him and of Him.

 WOW!” Just sit...



Father, thank You so much for using Your Word to bring truth to settle and take root  in our hearts and lives.  I ask that You would help me and the person reading right now to remember the one thing that is necessary. Remind us Father, to take time to sit at Jesus' feet and learn of Him. Help us to become more like Him and be filled to overflowing so we may better serve You and share Your living and written Word with others. In Jesus' wonderful Name I pray, Amen. 



[Daily Selah] is a mini-devotional, a pause to ponder about the Lord and how He wants us to live. 


No comments:

Post a Comment