Pages

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Turn Your Feet

{Daily Selah}

Places like Milwaukee, Chicago and Atlanta are much larger but I have found them so much easier to navigate than Rochester, Minnesota. Last fall, on my way to an appointment, I found myself driving around in circles while in absolute dire need of having to "go." I'm quite certain the staff of a Chinese take out thought I was crazy when I dashed in, used their rest room, then waited in line only to ask for directions. Perhaps I should consider investing in a GPS system and avoid drinking Dr. Pepper when travelling that far.

Lest you think I'm completely directionally challenged, I have to tell you that the letter I received prior to my appointment directed me to the 3rd Street parking ramp. Seems pretty plain, right? Well, not in Rochester. There is a 3rd Street West, 3rd Street South, and a 3rd Street North, as well as multiple 3rd Avenues all in the same general area. 

 I'm so very thankful God always makes His directions very clear. Our verse for today, Psalm 119:59, shows how David found direction.
I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies.
When the nice people at the Chinese take out told me where to go, I turned my car around and found my way. David also knew he was going the wrong way. He stopped, sought direction from God's Word, turned his feet and found his way.

Psalm 119 is all about finding the right way through God's Word. Take a look at the first 5 verses:


Blessed are the undefiled in the way, who walk in the law of the Lord. 
Blessed are they that keep his testimonies, and that seek him with the whole heart.
They also do no iniquity: they walk in his ways. 
Thou hast commanded us to keep thy precepts diligently.
O that my ways were directed to keep thy statutes!


Today, I'm taking my son to an appointment about an hour away. Don't worry, we're going to a town I know well. We won't be driving around in circles today. But, I have asked the Lord to direct in this appointment and to direct my son's steps now and in the future. My son is at somewhat of a crossroads in his life. He knows what God says but feels the allure of this world. My prayer for my son is that, like David, he would think on his ways and turn his feet to the right way - God's way.

How can any of us make sure we're going the right way? Another passage from Psalm 119 (v 9-11) has the answer:


Wherewithal shall a young man cleanse his way? by taking heed thereto according to thy word. 
With my whole heart have I sought thee: O let me not wander from thy commandments.
Thy word have I hid in mine heart, that I might not sin against thee.

When I was younger, I wandered, directionless for several years. I strayed far from God and His Word (see God Didn't Walk Away - my testimony). Thankfully, He brought me to repentance and turned my feet back to His ways about 20 years ago. Now, as 50 is fast approaching, I still need His direction in my life to keep my feet going in the right direction - in God's direction.

No matter how long we've been walking with the Lord, we all need direction to prevent us from driving around in circles in our lives, going the wrong way. God's Word is our road map for life. In it, He provides answers to all of life's difficult questions and shows us which way to go - for our good and His glory.

Paul, under the direction of the Holy Spirit wrote, Finally, my brethren, rejoice in the Lord. To write the same things to you, to me indeed is not grievous, but for you it is safe. In other words, "Don't be upset if I repeat the same things over and over. Its because I want you to be safe."

1 John 5:3 says, For this is the love of God, that we keep his commandments: and his commandments are not grievous. God doesn't give us commandments to grieve us our make our lives burdensome. He gives His commands to keep us safe from harm and the consequences of sin because He loves us so very much. 

Which way are you going, right now in this moment? Are you trying to follow God's direction for your life? Turn your feet. Are you still going in circles, try to go your own way? Turn your feet. 


I thought on my ways, and turned my feet unto thy testimonies (Psalm 119:59). 




{Daily Selah} is a mini-devotional, a pause to ponder about the Lord and how He wants us to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment