Pages

Wednesday, January 14, 2015

Lead me to the Rock

{Daily Selah}

From the end of the earth will I cry unto thee, when my heart is overwhelmed: lead me to the rock that is higher than I (Psalm 61:2).

Very few people enjoy being led. Most of us want to take the lead. It is human nature to want to direct our own course. We tend to think of that choosing our own path leads to freedom. Sadly, most don't realize such thinking leads only to bondage, chained to our own human desires and controlled by the flesh. 

Davis was king of Israel, the most important and powerful man in the land. If anyone had the freedom and the right to choose his own way, it was David. A few times he did just that. One day Nathan the prophet visited David in the the palace and confronted the king with his sin (see 2 Samuel 12). David was heartbroken over his sin and came to God in humble repentance (see Palm 51). 

(continue reading below the picture)






The king had no desire to go back to his sin and no desire to steer his life back into a sinful state of bondage to his own fleshly lusts. More than anything, David wanted to follow God's path for his life and thereby, experience true freedom. That desire for real freedom in his life and relationship with the LORD God of Israel led David to write many Psalms, of praise, worship, adoration and prayer. 

Psalm 61 reveals the cry of David's heart. He asks of the Lord, lead me to the rock that is higher than I. David understood that God's ways are so far above ours that we need to be led to Him, led to His Word and led to His ways. 

For my thoughts are not your thoughts, neither are your ways my ways, saith the Lord. For as the heavens are higher than the earth, so are my ways higher than your ways, and my thoughts than your thoughts (Isaiah 55:8-9). 

We can't find God on our own, nor can we live for His glory our own way. 
 A Saviour would have been of no use to us if the Holy Spirit had not gently led us to him, and enabled us to rest upon him. To this day we often feel that we not only want a rock, but to be led to it.  -Charles Spurgeon

The cry of David's heart should also be ours. No matter how long we have known Him, we all still need to be led to the Rock, to His Word and to His ways each and every day. 

Lordlead me to the rock that is higher than I.



{Daily Selah} is a mini-devotional, a pause to ponder about the Lord and how He wants us to live.

No comments:

Post a Comment